What is a vaporizer?
What Is A Vaporizer?
A vaporizer is a device used to release the active ingredients of plant material or to release the therapeutic compounds. Vaporizers heat the material at a much lower temperature so that the active compounds contained in the plant material produce an aromatic vapor (instead of smoke). Rather than burning the plant material, which can produce numerous harmful by-products, this vapor contains virtually zero particulate matter and significantly reduced noxious gases. By avoiding combustion (smoke), the user is able to achieve the same desired effects.
Styles Of Vaporizers
- Utilizes a "whip" (rubber tubing)
- Inhalation pulls heat over the herb
- Built in fan that pushes out air
- Fills balloons with vapor
- Offers both whip and balloon filling options
- May also include forced air functionality
- Rapid heat up time of 5 to 15 seconds
- Shaped like a pen (very discreet)
- Handheld & lightweight for easy transportation
- Large selection of various styles and designs
Conduction Vs Convection
With conduction vaporization, the herbal material makes direct contact with the heat source to produce the vapor. Earlier desktop vaporizers utilized this method, and it is no longer as common.
Most wax and pen-style vaporizers utilize this method of vaporization. As the plant material makes direct contact with the heating element, vapor is produced and then inhaled as the user draws through the mouthpiece. Although this method of vaporization results in a quicker heat-up time, it can also lead to combustion if not properly utilized.
With convection vaporization, the herbal material does not directly touch the heat source. Instead, vaporization is achieved by passing heated air over the material, extracting the active ingredients.
There are two basic types of convection vaporizers: whip-style and forced-air. Whip-Style vaporizers require the user to inhale through a tubing system (whip), thereby pulling hot air from the heat source over your material. Forced-Air vaporizers utilize a fan that propels the hot air over the material, thereby creating a stream of vapor that is then filled into a bag or balloon system.
Materials Being Vaped
When it comes to vaporization there are a variety of substances that can be used, including dry herb, concentrates and e-juices. The material being vaporized will affect which vaporizer one will want to use, as not all vapes work with every substance. It is easier to decide on a vape when one knows what they plan to vaporize most frequently.
- Dried & cured plant material
- Beneficial properties released when vaporized
- Extracted from dry herb
- Extraction methods include CO2, butane, or high-proof alcohol
- Liquid used in electronic cigarettes
- Concentrated flavoring that may include nicotine